Sunday, February 18, 2007

Introduction

I thought I'd present some data analysis for feedback.

I don't claim to be any sort of authority on basketball or statistical analysis, just a Georgetown fan with too much time on his hands.

The basic premise here is that information can be gleaned about team performance from the pace-independent statistics, such as those generated by Ken Pomeroy. To start things off, I'll look at the individual game stats found on his Game Plan page, I'm hoping to identify trends and relationships beyond the basic correlations between certain variables and offensive or defensive efficiency.

Ken Pomeroy attempts to account for level of competition with his "adjusted" statistics, which are available for pace, offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency. The underlying statistics for efficiency calcs are only available as raw. My analysis looks at both sets, so I will try to note whether I'm using adjusted or raw statistics, or a mixture of both.